Categories
3D Advertisement Personal Projects Portfolio

Tom Dixon Eclectic Kitchen Set (Kit)

Tom Dixon Eclectic Kitchen Set (Kit)

Other Software

Project

TD_Eclectic_WireframeEclectic_1

Thoughts and Notes

Categories
Brand Assets Graphic Design Image Optimization Photo Compositing Photo Editing Photo Retouching Photography Portfolio

Limi – The Best I Ever Had

Limi – The Best I Ever Had

Client: Limi

Project

The primary objective for this project was to shoot and retouch the cover photo. Minimalistic was the goal, so we spared all the extra typography and things and kept it clean with just a good portrait that we felt matched the vibe of the song as best as possible.

Thoughts and Notes

Due to COVID-19 restrictions I shot and edited this photo start to finish myself with the help of one other person. We used a makeshift lighting setup with a car with the high beams on. Shot at 400 iso, 1/80th of a second at f1.8 and stabilized on a monopod.

We did this shoot at around 10pm; due to the low light, autofocus was usable but ineffective so this was mostly a game of tinkering with the focus ring, getting a lot of shots, and just hoping some came out clear. Thankfully this one came out pretty good and we are all happy with the results.

Categories
Brand Assets Graphic Design Image Optimization Photo Compositing Photo Editing Photo Retouching Portfolio

Limi – Cuts

Limi – Cuts

Client: Limi

Categories
Brand Assets Graphic Design Image Optimization Photo Compositing Photo Editing Photo Retouching Portfolio

Limi – Wild Type

Limi – Wild Type

Client: Limi

Project

The primary objective of this project was only the cover. The photo that came to me was shot on a rooftop during winter nearing blue hour so it was a very cool photograph. The main goal was to exemplify spring excitement. I wanted to keep a lot of the blue because I felt it gave the photo a certain innocence, and manually boosted the golden highlight on the side of the face to sell a more spring-ish feel. Minor touch ups were done around the jaw line. Both Limi and I agreed the bottom up angle was not very flattering, a bit like a bad highschool selfie, but we liked the angle since it really sells that the sky is the limit and it fit with the song so well. We just brought the sides of the jaw in a little bit to compensate for the short focal length. I was thinking back to when I was younger and I used to play with this old film camera that we had and when the weather was good I would pretend I was making a movie and I would run around getting shots of anything and everything just because it made me happy, although the results are as you would expect of a 5 year old and were particularly bad. I wanted to give the cover a bit of that spontaneous look, very wild and very free, not worried about correctness and just about having a good time, and I think the film grain adds a lot of that. A very subtle glow effect was added to the text and to the advisory to give the appearance of being exposed into the film.

Thoughts and Notes

This photo was originally shot at a 800 iso which is a bit high in my opinion but after all was said and done, with the added film grain and the whole process of simulating the film look, it really ended up not really mattering and kind of worked in favor of the end result I think.

We looked through around 700 photos taken from this shoot and there were a lot of really good photos. Probably even some “better” ones, but in the end, we really liked how the message fit with the bottom up view, looking to the sky, and determined that this shot might not be the “better” shot but it is the “right” shot.

A number of other promotional materials were actually ready and being prepared for this project but never got used since Mona Lisa was still the priority.

Categories
Brand Assets Graphic Design Image Optimization Photo Compositing Photo Editing Photo Retouching Portfolio

Limi – Mona Lisa

Limi – Mona Lisa

Client: Limi

Project

Edit photography for album art and YouTube release art. This project was intended to not be identical in style to the Mona Lisa painting but to draw inspiration from some of the stylistic elements and color scheme. Part of the aesthetic is meant to be consistent with an aged painting without appearing to mimic a painting. We settled on an orange and teal color scheme with a magenta undertone for primary album art, and teal with red light leaks and a magenta undertone for all other artwork. We felt that in place of large text, a subtle “fast” hand-written look in the lower right of the cover like a signature on a painting would fit well and we kept the theme with the rest of the art as well.

Thoughts and Notes

This project was a lot of fun. I was able to participate in the photo shoots for this project which gave me a great feel for the project. This is not an opportunity always available during these types of projects and I am very happy with how this project turned out over all.

The grapes and peaches on the table were actually an after thought. We had finished the shoot and then a few days later felt the candle on it’s own just didn’t quite hit the mark for the iconic 16th/17th century type look. We felt the symbolism associated with certain fruits may be a nice touch so I composited them in later.

Originally the cover was going to be much darker. I go through various optimization steps. Because the cover needed to be viewable on both light and dark backgrounds due to Instagram being very bright, and spotify, tidal, and youtube for mobile devices being dark themed, I moved for a more neutral value which makes it easier to look at on a wider variety of platforms.